07 February, 2010

UFC 109 - The crime at 109!

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/news/26123

Wow. The Rolles Gracie v. Joey Beltran fight was an afterthought. And luckily it was. It aired after the main event - Couture v. Coleman, and luckily it did. I actually wasn't sure what to expect not seeking Rolles in a MMA event before.
Let me replay the events of last night as I remember it. It was like witnessing a crime in action. I remember thinking that the Couture/Coleman match was just sad to watch. I couldn't imagine what Coleman's kids were thinking and felt badly for him and for them. I was about to shut the TV off after the main event, but decided to wait and see what might be aired. (I caught some excellent matches previously that way.)
I stepped away for a little bid and came back seeing one fighter take down and eventually take the back of another fighter. At that point, I didn't really know who was fighting. I remember hearing Joe Rogan say that while the fighter on the bottom has grappling experience, he's going to be totally outmatched by the fighter on the back. A Brazilian JiuJitsu black belt. My ears perked up. But it wasn't soon after that Joey Beltran (at this point I hear his name) was able to escape, get back to his feet and box. This is where the rest of the crime was committed. And like with car accidents, I couldn't turn my eyes away. It was a wreck - horrible striking attempts and shots by a lumbering and waddling fighter - Rolles Gracie. (When I heard his name, I said - Wha?)
....But the link above described it well. Rolles didn't look like he belonged or even wanted to be there. And seeing Renzo after the fight, I don't think he wanted to be there either.
You have to wonder if that multi-fight deal with UFC is going to stay together?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Attention Deficit Dad with as many interests as days in the year. You can't hold me back and you can only hope to contain me!
There was an error in this gadget