28 January, 2010

My A-ha moment - "I've been here before"

I wanted to document a couple things that I wanted to get on blog before I moved on to my Gracie and BJJ home schooling.
I clearly remember the turning point in my learning at FVGC. It was the second to last class that I ever went to at the Club. I remember having trouble with other players in class. I don't think that 8 months into training you can really feel like you hit a slump. But that is how it felt for me. I seemed to be struggling with some of the same things all of the time, panicking, gassing out and forgetting the basics. I was thinking way too much! I finally heard one of the blue belts explaining his A-Ha moment(s).
First - stop moving other people. The game is about moving yourself into the right position.
Second - what helped him learn not to panic was a single thought in his head when he got into a compromised position - "I've been here before". Thinking that thought - "I've been here before" helped him calm his breathing, and calm his thinking down.

My next roll, I was against a large viking dude, a white belt like me, but capable of pancaking most training partners. Viking quickly got mount and proceded to work arm bars. Instead of panicking, I was able to maintain calm. I kept moving hips, moving hips and moving hips. Frame, elbow escape, achieve half-guard, frame, move hips, shrimp and achieve full-guard. Whoa. Was I happy! It's about small wins, right? I was psyched and couldn't wait for my next class.

Next and last class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Attention Deficit Dad with as many interests as days in the year. You can't hold me back and you can only hope to contain me!
There was an error in this gadget