24 January, 2010

About Me

I'm a 37 year old husband, father, dog owner, martial arts addict, BMW owner and pharmacist. Re: the title of this blog: Formative Years... let me explain. I'm a podcast listener. Instead of the regular radio, when I drive, I like to listen to podcasts. The particular podcast I was listening to was NPR's "Fresh Air" - Terry Gross is great. What I like about podcasts is that there are no commercials. What is funny is that you hear a lot of repeating of the resets that the program host does. So, while I'm listening to Terry Gross talk about her guest, Patty Smith, I must have heard Terry intro Patty Smith's new book, Just Kids, and describe it as a book about Ms. Smith's "Formative Years" a million times. (In actuality, the transcript of the interview only has the pharse "formative years" twice!) But it struck me that why is it that only famous people (artists, musicians, geniuses) are described as having formative years?

A little more about me. I'm a husband and father of two great kids. Both kids are under 10 and somekind of wonderful. I also have one crazy cool dog that I play tug with a lot and talk baby talk to. If you are looking for the perfect dog: medium sized, doesn't shed, doesn't bark a lot, great with kids and can do many different activities, look up the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

Regarding Martial Arts. I started Tae Kwon Do and Judo when I was about 10 or so, at the Chicago Mudo Center. I got to Red/Black belt (deputy black) as a kid. I stopped going some time in high school but always wanted to go back. When I was in my mid-twenties, I was able to make some time and get back into the same school. My instructor even started me back at the belt I left at. Not a good idea! I had managed to lose all of my flexibility, memory of technique and forms and conditioning in 8 to 10 years. Combine my total deconditioning, with an instructor who remembers a 15-16 year old acrobatic high belt, and you end up with a mid-twenty-year-old walking injury. It ended abruptly after attempting a leaping forward roll over a 4-foot-high obstacle and landing with a separated shoulder. I was pretty much done. But 3-4 years ago, after watching my 3 year old and 5 year old in their first Tae Kwon Do class, I decided that it was time for me to start again. This time I started at white belt and I'll be testing for my black belt some time this summer. In the past 3-4 years, I've also learned a bit of Muay Thai and have started taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes. I'd say that BJJ is my major addiction right now!

I own two BMW's that I love to drive, dismantle and mess with. A 1998 M3 4-door and a 1991 M42 318i. I've done a bit of work on both vehicles and love their handling and style. I'm looking for a new vehicle now. We'll see how that goes.

Finally, I'm a pharmacist at a health system in Northeast Wisconsin. My role is the Medication System Officer for the system and I'm all about patient and staff safety. This health system is know for utilizing LEAN - Toyota Production Systems, processes in a health care setting. Changed my career!

With all of that, "formative years" refers to periods of rapid change and development, usually associated with adolescence and puberty. I know that I'm in a period of rapid change and development as well. I'm pretty sure that I'm done with puberty.

Excuse my ramblings but I hope that we can all share some knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Attention Deficit Dad with as many interests as days in the year. You can't hold me back and you can only hope to contain me!